Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Health Update

All is going as expected! I know I've been negligent about blogging lately and therefore giving you a health update. I'm healing as expected and making progress. For example;

1) I no longer have steri strips on my incision. I went from staples to steri strips (similar to the old butterfly band aids) to nothing.
2) My incision has gone from a wound to more of a scar with a little bit of healing yet to do.
3) I've been walking regularly and have walked 2.5 miles and on Monday walked our regular nightly loop which includes walking up Utah Street (steep hill!).
4) Most days I don't even think about my lung and can breath 100% normal
5) I've gained weight back and I'm almost back to pre-surgery weight. My weight has been like a yo-yo. Did I mention that while I was in the hospital that I retained about 25 pounds of water weight due to all of the blood transfusions and iv's. Then, within 2 days I lost that weight plus some. Apparently while healing your body will take protein from wherever it can and therefore it robs your body of muscle mass. I need to hit the gym!

I still have some small uphill battles ahead of me but they are really small in comparison.
1) My endurance is pathetic. Yesterday I spent the day with my mom, the last day we get to spend together before she starts school. We did simple things like go to lunch, got our rings cleaned, made dinner, etc. Nothing outrageous but being 'on' for an extended period of time is exhausting. So much so that I woke up this morning feeling hungover and tired. Resting today. This happened last week while I spent some time out and about with my friend Allison. So basically I'm good for about 3 hours and then I need to rest. I'm actually a little surprised by this and disappointed but it has to get better soon.
2) The nerves around my incision/scar are starting to come alive again. I know this because they are zingy and itchy at times.
3) I'm still unable to pick up the kids, they can both sit in my lap which is nice. I've picked Eva up on occasion when she's already snuggled up to me and I'm only using my legs to lift her. I just can't resist sometimes and it doesn't hurt but I'm limiting it as much as possible. Can't wait until this is no longer a problem. It's rough on Eva and she's understandably frustrated. Lila has been fabulous through all of this and seems to understand as much as a 3 year old can.

In another month I should be feeling really good...almost normal. I'm curious about my endurance and when that will increase but really hope that by October 1st this should not be a problem.

Thank you everyone for your continued support and concern. I know it has taken me a long time to get thank you notes in the mail for all of the wonderful gifts, flowers, food, etc. but they did make it into the mailbox this week. We are sincerely grateful for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment