I'm going home today! The past week has been a complete whirlwind for me but through it all we've been trying to document the progress that I've made. Our journey in photos...
The first time the girls were able to see me after I got out of the ICU. We were all thrilled to be together although both girls had a hard time with it for their own reasons. I can't pick Eva up or even let her sit in my lap which is incredibly hard for both of us. Lila was really sweet understanding that she needed to give me a 'gentle' hug. I quietly cried during and after their visit because these limitations are excruciating. Still can't wait to be able to play and roughhouse with my babies.
During this first visit Lila looked at me straight faced and said, "Mama, are you gonna have a baby"? I guess that's a good question from a 3 year old based on what she knows* but I assured her that NO we were not having any more babies. {*me being in the hospital, wearing a gown, REALLY swollen due to severe water retention from so many blood transfusions}
My number one fan after several sleepless days and nights. We were so thrilled to be out of the ICU. Below is one VERY tired hubby!
I couldn't be more grateful for all of my friends, family and neighbors. My dearest friends Allison, Anne and Kim I am truly thankful. They kept calling, texting and visiting (and still do!). They have all been so supportive, helpful with everything from bringing me personal items, brushing/braiding my hair, bringing me Starbucks and basic care giving tasks. Plus showing Scott with the same care (Starbucks, cookies, company, etc.).
Below Allison, Elena and I at the hospital.
Kim and I
During this whole ordeal the girls stayed in their regular routine and Scott's parents were able step in and take over. Can you imagine being retired and then suddenly being thrown into parenting a 1 and 3 year old for over a week? Thankfully Irv and Michele regularly watch the girls anytime we go on vacation so they know their routine, likes, dislikes and they just step right in at our house. We are SO lucky to have parents/grandparents who are willing and able to do this.
My mom spent countless hours sitting at the hospital with me while I was in surgery, while I slept, while had insomnia. One night she started counting up the hours of sleep that we got and it was looking to be somewhere between 3-4 hours TOTAL not consecutive. I had to tell her Scott and I kind of have a rule not to discuss how much sleep we are NOT getting. Almost every night I would go to sleep and then wake up at 1am and have insomnia. Most mornings, including today, I got up at 4am. Today mom and I walked down to the cafeteria to get tea and coffee and just sat and visited. The nurses must have thought we were crazy!
My dad was at the hospital with my mom and Scott until I got into a more stable condition. He was great about sneaking me extra when I was begging for more ice chips and water. I was STARVING but not able to for several days so my family could sooth my thirst by giving me sips of water via a small sponge type thing. My dad would sneak me ice chips too! Ahhh they tasted soooo good!
First things first...you look AMAZING in all your photos. If i didn't know the situation I would not believe all you had been through looking at your pictures. Second, you have a wonderful #1 fan. I am so happy that you are home. Keep resting and getting better.
ReplyDelete