Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Medical Bills ~ Ouch!

It's almost laughable the number of medical bills we've gotten over the past 3 months. Now that our insurance company has paid their portion we are finally paying our portion. Ouch! Even with good insurance it's painful to write those checks.

Interestingly St. Vincent's, the first emergency room that sent me home with a ruptured liver and massive internal bleeding, opted to waive my portion of the $1,800 bill that they sent.

We are so grateful to have wonderful insurance to cover the bulk of our expenses. Not everyone is fortunate to have quality medical insurance. The moral of the photo below is that clearly everyone needs to be protected with quality insurance. $146,926.88 is not they type of medical bill a family can recover from. That's like adding a second mortgage payment to the monthly bills.  


A quick progress update. In October I had another ultrasound to take a look at my liver. At the time I had been prepped and expected to hear "all clear" that my liver had repaired itself. That's not what I heard. My doctor called with the news that I have a hematoma on my liver that measures about 2 inches by 3 inches. I was really, really shocked and disappointed to hear this. The next day I called Dr. Cagle, my surgeon, who I've grown to trust significantly. She got back to me and said that she actually wasn't surprised to hear that I still had a hematoma and that considering that half of my liver had a hematoma in July that a 2 by 3 inch hematoma was a great improvement. She did add though that it means that I will remain restricted from contact activity which means no snow skiing for me and please don't punch me in the stomach! I'm clear to run or do spin class as long as I'm careful not to trip, fall or over do it. I'm listening to my body intently.

No comments:

Post a Comment