Eva gave me a humongous scare on January 13th, that's Friday the 13th. I was getting the girls ready to go to Maria's house for a couple of hours while I went to meet a client. While I finished a few things in my office the girls played make-believe. Upon coming out of my office Eva looked like this:
Lila was quick to tell me that Eva had drawn on the walls. True, Eva drew all over the walls in our entryway. This was a first and hopefully a last. Thankfully this was dry erase marker and Lila helped me clean it up.
Just a couple of minutes after getting this mess cleaned up I was helping Eva brush her teeth. She gave me the 'I'm choking look'. You know the look when you see it, it's undeniable. I quickly got the toothbrush out of her mouth thinking that she had perhaps swallowed toothpaste. It didn't take me long to figure out that it wasn't just a matter of something 'going down the wrong pipe'. Eva's eyes began to water, I did the Heimlich procedure and nothing. We quickly moved to the kitchen and I tried to give her a drink of water, nothing. Then she began panicking and vomiting. A that point I'm panicking too. I can tell that her air passage is not completely blocked but yet she's been chocking for 60-90 seconds. I called my neighbor Maria to come over and get a second opinion. By the time I hung up the phone I called 911. Maria was over in about a minute and Eva was vomiting again. She vomited 3 times total. By the time the paramedics got to our house Eva was doing better. They checked her out and gave us the 'okay' that her air passages were clear. I still have no idea what she chocked on. My best guess is that perhaps she had something that was not lodged in her throat but perhaps a hair that was running vertically in her throat causing her to choke but still be getting air. That's my best mama guess.
This is at least the 5th time I've done the Heimlich procedure on Eva. She loves to put things in her mouth and often has too much food for her little mouth. I've also had to retrieve items from her nose! Eva is such a little sister...thankfully I can relate to her and appreciate her spunky little spirit.
No comments:
Post a Comment